ಮಾವಿನಕಾಯಿ + ಶುಂಟಿ ತೊಕ್ಕು
Do you crave for some tangy goodness? Well, I do, always.. and with raw mango, I go bonkers. I can just eat it with some chili powder and salt. I so wish Thotapuri was available here. I miss it so much. Have you ever tried it? If you haven't then you are missing a spot in the heaven.
Sometime during Christmas while I was watching some show on Food network, one of the chefs made apricot chutney and suggested we can give them as gourmet gifts. Aha!! Just what I wanted to see. I tried mango with ginger tokku, canned it and gifted it to my cousin.
For all those who don't know what tokku is - it is a relish made of spices, fruits or veggies, usually coarse and dry in texture as compared to chutney. Here is what you will need -
Preparation time: Under 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Quantity: 2 Cups or 500 gm
Grated raw mango - 1 Cup
Grated ginger - 3/4 Cup
Grated jaggerry - 2 tbsp
Tamarind concentrate - 2 tbsp
Ground Cumin - 1/2 Tsp
Chili powder - 1 Tsp or to taste
Salt to taste
For tempering : oil, mustard, asafetida and curry leaves
1. Start with heating oil in the pan on medium high heat, add mustard, soon as the mustard starts popping, add asafetida and then curry leaves
2. Lower the heat to medium and tamarind concentrate and jaggerry and mix well
3. Add cumin, chili powder and salt
4. Now, add mango and ginger and cook till all the spices are all well incorporated
5. Turn off the heat when the oil separates from the mixture
6. Cool down and store it in air tight container
Tokku tastes good with hot rice or roti or dosa. Its sweet and tangy, its yummy!!!