Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

FAQ on YOGA

Why YOGA?
Yoga is a science much more than just exercise. Please read this article to know about the benefits of yoga. This gives insights about the physical, psychological and biochemical benefits. It also gives a comparison of Yoga with regular exercises.

Are there any prerequisites? 
Just a few like - 
  • practice yoga on empty stomach or 3 hrs after you have had food
  • do not practice during menstruation
  • children below 12 years should not practice yoga for longer duration
  • yoga should be practiced on a matted or carpeted floor 
Does Yoga help weight loss?
The answer is YES!!! It depends on the type of yoga you practice. There are different types of Yoga.  Hatha, Kundalini, Bikram, Iyengar and Ashtanga Yoga are some to name. All these are found by various Yogis or masters who have practiced yoga for years.

I am Fat, do you think I can do it?
I am fat too. When I can do it, I am sure you can too! Start off with simple asanas. Where there's a will there's a way. Fact is, even people who are skinny will find it tough to touch the floor without bending their knees. Example - my husband! He can't touch the floor, I can do it!! (Yay!!) :)

I am skinny, do you think I have to do it?
Yes. Yoga not just builds strength in the body, but also helps beat stress. Along with flexibility, it improves concentration and longevity. Please read the article suggested above to discover more benefits.

What is Pranayama?
Pranayama is one of the basic principles of Yoga which promotes proper breathing. Better breathing improves the quality of life. Check this article for more benefits.

All of us breathe, so what?
Yes, all of us breathe, but we don't breathe properly. Most of us are chest breathers, we just use 1/3rd of our lung capacity. Pranayama almost triples the lung capacity, thereby increasing the oxygen capacity which in turn increases metabolic rate, it improves digestion and all the other body function. Don't u think its a good deal?

I am a full time working woman, do you think I can practice yoga?
Yes, you can. I practice 25 suryanamaskara everyday. It takes not more than 30 mins. You can spend at least 20 mins to see your great grand children getting married in future!

Oh, don't ask me to wake up early in the morning now!
Oh No! Although the best time to practice yoga is early in the morning, you can do it in the evening too. Just make sure that you haven't had anything to eat 3 hours before doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment